Scotland is a great country to visit because there are many must-see attractions for any type of traveler. It was even on Lonely Planet’s list of top countries to visit in 2014! Before you take your vacation to Scotland , you should learn these 10 cool things that you probably don’t know about the country, even if you have visited Scotland before!
see scotland vacations
1. Scotland is home to the tallest waterfall in Britain, named Eas a’ Chual Aluinn. It is 658 feet, which is 3 times the height of Niagara Falls.
2. The official animal of Scotland is the Unicorn.
3. Scotland has approximately 790 islands.
4. Scotland is home to the oldest tree in Europe. It is a twisted yew, and it has been around for 3,000 years.
5. Edinburgh was the first city in the world to have its own fire brigade.
6. There are over 600 square miles of fresh water lakes.
7. The highest proportion of redheads are in Scotland.
8. St. Andrew’s Links is known as the ‘home of golf.’
9. Even though Edinburgh is the capital, it is not the largest city; Glasgow is the largest.
10. The raincoat was invented in Scotland by a man named Charles Macintosh, who was born in Glasgow.
learn more about scotland!