Are you looking for castles in Ireland to stay in?
We’re here to help travelers identify Irish castle hotel options and considerations when planning their vacation abroad.
From modern to medieval, there are seemingly endless options of castles in Ireland to stay in while on your vacation abroad. The professional travel specialists of Tenon Tours can help you plan the perfect castle stay as well as book day tours, travel arrangements and day trips. Find out why our holistic and comprehensive strategy for vacation planning is the best in the travel business.
Things to consider when planning your Castle Stay
With all the options available when searching for a castle-themed vacation, finding the perfect castle hotel can be a challenging task. Our planning professionals can help you sort out the details to save you time and avoid the hassles associated with traveling abroad. Here are a few key items to take into consideration when planning your castle stay in Ireland.
- Transportation: How will you get from the airport to your castle hotel? Our team of travel planning professionals can help you rent a car and plan your self-drive route. For those who are looking for something more exclusive, we recommend a private chauffeur to drive you to each destination in the comfort of your own luxury vehicle.
- Castle Hotel Accommodations: Castle hotels are sprinkled throughout Ireland. Trying to find the hotel that best fits your travel goals and budget can be exhausting and time-consuming. Since every castle in Ireland is one-of-a-kind, they have unique room types, on-site amenities, dining options, scenery and locations. We can help you identify which castle hotel is right for you and your travel goals.
- Activities: Many castle hotel options include activities such as fishing, hunting, spa and leisure. Our team has personally experienced many of these features and is excited to help you identify which activities are right for your and your fellow travelers.
- Excursions & Day Trips: While there is much to do on-site at many of these castle stays, there is still so much to see and do outside of the castle grounds. Our team can help by outlining excursions and day trips that align with an authentic Irish vacation.
- Destinations: Can’t decide on a single castle? You don’t have to! Oftentimes vacationers prefer to visit multiple destinations, but find the planning process to be too difficult or cumbersome to achieve. Our team can help you plan everything, including where to go and how to get there.
- Customer Service: Although many of these castles have wonderful customer service, they only specialize and offer travel planning services for activities that take place on the castle premises. Tenon Tours offers everything related to trip planning and customer service while you’re on vacation in Ireland. We call this “By-Your-Side Service℠“, which includes an emergency 24/7 traveler hotline and mobile app to ensure you’re only a click or call away.
Types of Castles in Ireland to Stay in
Authentic Castle Hotels
Peppered along the countryside, authentic castle are a unique part of the Irish landscape. Your authentic castle options are either derived from the original castle or a renovated and restored versions of the original castle. This option is perfect for travelers who want to stay in an authentic Irish castle hotel that has been refurbished to exemplify its traditional and historic charm.
As all castle hotels, these range in star-level ratings, price and levels of luxury, but one thing is certain – you’ll feel nothing short of royalty when booking your Irish vacation at one of these castle hotels.
Top 10 Authentic Castle Hotels
- Abbeyglen Castle
Located in Galway, Ireland, this castle is a 4-star hotel built in 1832 with beautiful views overlooking Clifden Bay.
- Adare Manor
This lavish hotel boasts a wide range of activities including a gundog experience, game shooting, horseback riding, cycling, spa, golf, cinema and historical tours of the local landscape.
- Ashford Castle
This 800-year-old castle is known as the former home of the Guinness family. Named one of National Geographics “Unique Lodges of the World,” and voted among the top three resort hotels in the UK and Ireland by Travel + Leisure in 2019. This castle resides over 350 acres of estate with amenities that are sure to please even the most high-falutin of travelers.
- Ballygally Castle
Sitting at the tip of the famous Causeway Coastal Route is the 17th century Ballygally Castle, which overlooks the scenic waterways of Ballygally Bay and has panoramic views of the Irish Sea. This castle has 54 uniquely decorated and charming bedrooms, each with the original beamed ceiling. Tenon Tip: ask if one of their historic garden and waters are available!
- Ballynahinch Castle
Located on a 700-acre estate, you’ll experience the wildlife of the woodland, rivers and walk ways in the heart of the Connemara, Co. Galway. This castle overlooks its famous salmon fishery with beautiful views of the 12 Bens Mountain Range.
- Ballyseede Castle
This 4-star luxury castle hotel is surrounded by 30 acres of private gardens and woodlands. Doric-inspired architecture paves the way to the grand decoration throughout the hotel. Ornate furnishings in each room provide an elegant setting for a cozy escape during your next vacation. As many of the castles, Ballyseede Castle provides luxurious fine dining with traditional Irish cuisine and traditional amenities to experience the Irish culture in a unique environment.
- Barberstown Castle
Built in the 13h century, the Barberstown Castle has only been open to the public as a hotel since 1971. Originally built as a fortress to protect the village and people of Barberstown, this castle has seen its fair share of rebellion. Since 1288, the castle has had 37 owners – among which is Eric Clapton.
- Bellingham Castle
Originally built around 1660, this castle is the centerpiece of a 17-acre estate located less than one hour from Dublin and Belfast.
- Cabra Castle
One of the most famous luxury hotels in Ireland, the Cabra Castle Hotel includes a host of activities including fishing, horse riding, clay pigeon shooting and archery. Traditional room accommodations feature old stone walls and views of the gardens. There are also budget-friendly cottage room options available, all of which have a 4-star rating.
- Castle Leslie
On a 1,000 acre estate of flowing Irish countryside, the Castle Leslie is truly one of the finest luxury properties in Ireland. Explore the countryside on foot or on horseback. Experience amenities such as fishing on one of Irelands best-preserved lakes, or enjoy a massage in the Victorian Treatment Rooms. This castle is located just 80 minutes from Dublin and 60 minutes from Belfast.
Modern Castle Hotels
These castles take a modern approach to an authentic Irish experience. Each castle in Ireland to stay in has been remodeled without sacrificing the conventional beauty of the historic architecture. These options are great for those who are looking to experience traditional Ireland with the comfort of a modern theme.
- Clontarf Castle Hotel
Voted among the “Top 10 Hotel in Ireland” by Conde Nast Readers’ Choice Awards, the Clontarf Castle Hotel boasts stylish deluxe luxury bedrooms and an artisan dining experience. This castle is conveniently located just minutes from the Dublin city center with easy access from the airport.
- Dunboyne Castle Hotel
Oriented for those who’s goal is to be pampered, the Dunboyne Castle Hotel is known for its Seoid Spa, which spans over 3 floors and includes 18 treatment rooms and a large thermal suite, as well as a hydrotherapy pool. In addition to the restorative experience, you can expect to find a wide range of entertainment options including traditional Irish music, cooking classes and comedy events. Included in Dunboynes suite of amenities is golf and a host of local attractions in the village of Dunboyne.
- Slieve Donard Resort and Spa
Perfect for “foodies,” the 4-star Slieve Donard Resort and Spa offers multiple restaurants with customized dining options for those who are gourmet enthusiasts. This estate offers multiple room types for every traveler.
- Lough Eske Castle
Built in the 14th century, the Lough Eske Castle is Ireland’s premier 5-star castle hotel and has been voted among Conde Nast’s“Top Ten Luxury Hotels” in 2018 and 2019.
Hotels next to castles
Not all castles have been retrofitted with luxury hotels, but there are still a host of options available for accommodations within close proximity to castles in Ireland.
- Ballinalacken Castle Country House Hotel
A historic country house located in the heart of the Wild Atlantic Way, the Ballinalacken Castle Hotel is more like a bed and breakfast. Each room has been tasetfully restored to its original style and include antique furniture, four-poster beds and fireplaces. This property is located near many sites including the Cliffs of Moher, one of the most famous sites in Ireland. Additionally, the hotel is close by to Doolin Cave which dates back 350 million years.
- Bunratty Castle Hotel
Bunratty, Co. Clare’s newest 4-star hotel, the Bunratty Castle Hotel is sophisticated and luxurious. The hotel has been restored and is an intimate and charming representation of traditional Ireland.
- Kilkenny River Court Hotel
Here, you’ll enjoy magnificent views of the 12th century Kilkenny Castle. This hotel is conveniently situated back from the local town of Kilkenny yet a short walk from the main shopping areas, theaters and tourist attractions.
- Pembroke Hotel
A 4-star accommodation in the center of Kilkenny with castle-view rooms available. Learn more about Kilkenny Castle.
Unique Experiences of Castle Stays
Our castle stay experiences are more than a few nights in a historic location. We have planned itineraries and day trips for all levels of travel enthusiasts. Here are a few of examples of activities you can enjoy when you book one of our castle stay vacations:
- Dromoland Castle offers a School of Falconry
- Horseback riding at Killarney Castle or Ballyconneely
- Jaunting Cars
Planning your Castle Stay in Ireland
There are a host of amenities, room types, and locations available with each castle option. Picking the right option can seem like a daunting task, but Tenon Tours is here to help! Our travel planning process includes a personal collaborative experience to help you uncover the possibilities. We work with you to create a custom itinerary relative to your budget and goals. Each vacation we plan is completely unique and exclusive to the goals of our travelers, which is why we don’t offer pre-packaged options. If you would like to learn more about Tenon Tours or our process, feel free to reach out and request a consultation.
View our Ireland Vacation Packages for 2020 here.