Scotland might not be the first destination that comes to mind when planning your post-wedding getaway, but it has so much to offer. Every honeymoon should be different, just like the couple planning it, so you want to focus on the things that you wish to experience. But, where do you start? There are so many options and things to consider that it can be overwhelming. Your honeymoon should offer you nothing but relaxation and quality time with your new spouse, and it should be exactly what you both want – a trip that you’ll remember for a lifetime.
Start planning early
It’s never too early to start planning your honeymoon to Scotland. Even if you’re still in the early stages of collecting information, the more time you have, the better. One of the hardest parts about planning any trip abroad is deciding when to go. When it comes to Scotland, there are certain times of the year that may be more appealing. We generally recommend visiting in late spring or early fall. However, like any vacation, it depends on what you want to do once you’re there!
Choose the right accommodations
You’ll want to start your married life in comfort and relaxation together. When it comes to accommodations in Scotland, you can choose from a variety of options:
- Cozy family-owned bed and breakfasts in the countryside or close to town.
- Luxury and authentic castle hotels that are derived from the original castle or renovated versions of the actual castle.
- 4- and 5-star boutique and modern hotels close to the city-center and other attractions.
- Manor homes that offer a historic and stately backdrop to your honeymoon.
Plan around your interests
Scotland is a beautiful country that offers a cozy escape for couples who love the outdoors, culture or to be away from the hustle and bustle. Do you want to spend your time hiking, biking, kayaking or bird watching together? Or would the two of you rather browse art galleries, sample local cuisine and indulge in some of the world’s best music scenes? This will be the vacation of a lifetime, so you want to make sure that it is tailored to fit both of your wants and needs!
We’ve highlighted some ideas you may want to consider when planning your honeymoon in Scotland.
Explore the outdoors
Experience something new together. From lochs to isles, the opportunities are endless.
- Discover one of the many isles of Scotland, including the fairy pools at the Isle of Skye (recently named one of the ‘Best Islands in Europe’ by Travel + Leisure)
- Hike (or simply admire) one of the many mountain ranges that scatter the Scottish Highlands.
- Walk along the picturesque shoreline of Loch Ness – and keep an eye out for Nessie!
If you need a break from the outdoors, there is plenty more to keep you busy. Uncover castles and ruins, taste Scottish foods or embark on Scotland’s whisky trail.
- Witness the brooding black crags of Edinburgh Castle, a must-see when visiting the capitol.
- Tempt your taste buds with traditional Scottish fare, such as haggis.
- Learn about Scotch whisky as you sip your way through the eight distilleries along Scotland’s Whisky Trail.
If you are thinking about planning a honeymoon in Scotland, we can help you get started. Tenon Tours helps take the stress out of planning so you can focus on your wedding day. Contact us today to request a customized quote. Cheers to you and yours!