Driving through Ireland is one of the best ways to see all of the hot spots and beautiful sites that the island has to offer. Plus, it gives you the freedom to travel wherever you’d like whether you’re alone or with a group of friends or family.
Know you want to take a self-drive tour around Ireland but unsure of the best routes to hit? Have no fear! We’ve gathered up a list of the top self drive Ireland routes to help you get the most out of your vacation to Ireland.
- Cliffs of Moher, County Clare: stretching 5 miles along the coast, driving out to see the Cliffs of Moher is a great way to see Ireland’s most visited natural attraction.
- Healy Pass, County Cork: although not an easy road to drive on because of the number of curves, many view this as one of the best routes in Ireland. Great views of the coast, waterfalls, and some animals along the way, and a gift shop at the end make Healy Pass a hard route to pass up.
- Mourne Mountains, County Down: driving around the Mournes will bring you to the highest mountain in Northern Ireland. Make sure to take a pit stop to walk, hike, and maybe even rock climb.
- Ring of Kerry, County Kerry: this is one of Ireland’s longest drives and also one of the most diverse. Passing popular tourist destinations such as Gap of Dunloe, Ladies View, and Torc Waterfall, this route will be sure to entertain any traveler.
- Sky Road, Connemara, County Galway: traveling the sky road will give you a view of the Irish countryside and the ocean. This is a shorter drive, but many agree that it is worth it!
All of these self-drive routes have rich Irish history attached to them, so as you’re driving, you’re also experiencing all of the culture and history that Ireland has to offer.
Want to see how you can combine some of these routes into your personalized self-drive tour itinerary? Tenon can help! Tell us which routes/attractions are the most desirable for you, and we’ll customize a trip just for you.