Talking in a British accent is often used in movies and comedy routines because the way the British talk can be hilarious to our foreign ears! What’s the reason for it? It’s partly because of the accent, but it’s also because of the British slang terms and phrases that they use. Taking a vacation to England? Get to know these British slang terms before your vacation, or just to use in every day conversation here in the US to give your friends a good laugh.
- Legless: this is a common term that’s used in pubs – it means you may have had a bit too much to drink!
- Knackered: you’ll probably be quite knackered after your legless night on the town
- Miffed: upset
- Plonk: cheap wine – usually red
- Knees Up: dance party! Don’t forget the plonk!
- Barmy: insane
- Gobsmacked: amazed by something
- Chin Wag: to have a conversation with someone in a social setting
- Dishy: if you hear someone say you’re dishy, it means you’re good looking!
- Wazzock: this is used as we would use ‘idiot’ in the US
- Collywobbles: an upset stomach – it could be used the same way as when we say we have butterflies about something
- Lurgy: feeling sick
- Hard Lines: British slang for bad luck
- Lemon: worthless – a common old British slang phrase was “to hand someone a lemon,” which means to leave a bad taste in one’s mouth
- Gobby: a term meaning offensive
- Minted: to be very rich
- Porkies: if someone is ‘telling porkies’ it means they’re telling lies
- Dog’s Dinner: this means something is a complete mess
Think you know enough British slang terms and phrases now to travel to Britain? There are so many more interesting things that they Brits say, so make sure you’re listening when you’re exploring everything that England has to offer; you might even be able to spark up some chin wags with the locals!
How We TravelLearn More
Hit the road your way: itinerary, car, accommodations, sights, and tours. But let us do all the heavy lifting.
The freedom of your own private car, the luxury of your own personal guide. And the very best hidden secrets.
Convenient, comfortable, oozing with charm. With a front-row seat to some of the most beautiful scenery in the world.
The trip of a lifetime, personalized just for your group of friends, family, or organization down to every last detail.
Every tour is different, perfectly matched for every couple. Crafted by a team who is as excited about your honeymoon as you are.
For travelers who prefer to join a small group tour, we offer scheduled tours.
Our personal concierge service and mobile app
Custom Europe Experts
Experts in planning truly customized trips
Value without Compromise
High-touch inclusions and customized experiences
Consistency with Individuality
You’ll always be met with the highest standards