TOP 10 GOLF COURSES IN SCOTLAND:
1. The Old Course at St. Andrews (East) – One of the oldest, most famous golf courses in the world, The Old Course at St. Andrews is a magical track.
2. Muirfield (Southeast) – The world’s oldest golf club according to direct written evidence, Muirfield is home to The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers.
3. Royal Dornoch (North) – A historic, challenging course with beautiful views and an exciting routing along the North Sea. Dornoch is a wonderful course with a magical feel and is certainly worth the trek north.
4. Turnberry Ailsa (Southwest) – Home to multiple Open Championships, the Ailsa course at Turnberry is a very scenic course, overlooking the ocean and the granite island of Ailsa Craig.
5. Carnoustie (East) – A wonderfully difficult course that has generated memorable Open Championships such as in 1999, when Jean van de Velde stumbled on the 72nd hole.
6. Royal Troon – Old Course (Southwest) – Home to the famous “Postage Stamp” par 3 eighth hole, the Old Course at Royal Troon is another great Open Championship venue with history, difficulty, and beauty.
7. Kingsbarns (Southeast) – Opened in 2000, Kingsbarns is a beautiful, natural course that looks like it has been around for hundreds of years, and has a wonderful view of the North Sea from every hole.
8. North Berwick Links (Southeast) – Home to the famous par 3 15th “Redan” hole, North Berwick Links is a beautiful, playable, enjoyable course.
9. Loch Lomond (Southwest) – Alongside the banks of Loch Lomond, this course is in a wonderful, secluded setting.
10. Cruden Bay (Northeast) – Set on a rugged, sand-dune-filled landscape, Cruden Bay is an exciting course that will guarantee a memorable round.
Honorable Mention: Trump International (Northeast) – Designated by Mr. Trump as the finest in the world, the newly build Trump International comes fairly close. Some critics say that it is not as natural as the classic Scottish courses, but its fans praise its beauty and excitement.
Have our top ten lists inspired you to start planning your own golf trip to Ireland or Scotland? Our travel specialists will be happy to help you with your tour.