Portugal Self-Drive Tours
Unique and diverse, from coastlines to mountaintops. A Portugal road trip rewards the curious.
As expert itinerary planners, we’ll help you craft the perfect tour.
Pousadas, boutique hotels, and hotels.
Choose your vehicle type and size, from motorcycle to van.
Design your trip based on the things you want to see and do.
Interests & Themes
Love beaches, wine, or history and culture? Use your interests to personalize your trip.
Book With Confidence
Your Self-Drive vacation comes with our By-Your-Side ServiceSM
What to Expect
- Your choice of overnight stays, in some of our favorite places
- Accommodations for every night of your trip in Pousadas, boutique hotels, and hotels.
- Rental vehicle, a variety of vehicle types and sizes
- All accommodation taxes/fees
- Breakfast every morning
- 24/7 Traveler Hotline
- By-Your-Side ServiceSM
- We’ll suggest preferred partner properties with a wide range of options, from old-style charm and boutique to modern and luxury options.
- Traditional historic buildings—former monasteries, castles, palaces, and fortresses—converted into luxury hotels.
- Portuguese country homes (similar to Italian villas), guesthouses, and sometimes working farms that offer wonderfully authentic experiences.
Your self-drive car rental comes with:
- Rental vehicle with available pick-up/drop-off at the airport of your choice and most city centers.
- Choose from different car sizes, transmission (manual or automatic), vans, luxury options, or motorcycle.
- Included extras
- All compulsory insurance: Collision Damage Waiver insurance (CDW with a deductible), theft protection insurance (TP), VAT sales tax, unlimited free mileage, third party liability insurance, airport surcharge, and a free road map. Upgrades to Super CDW available.
The most common mode of transportation between major cities is by car. The Portuguese drive on the same side as in the U.S. but Portugal uses the metric system, so be prepared for speed to be measured in kilometers.
Portugal has a safe and well-kept highway system, but some of the smaller country roads can be hard to navigate. An international driving permit (IDP) is not required to drive a rental car in Portugal, but if you are planning a drive into neighboring Spain, an IDP will be required.
Other Ways to Explore
Hit the road on your own or enjoy the luxury of having someone else in the driver’s seat. Embark on a scenic rail journey or mix things up to get you there in whatever mode fits your journey best. Take a private tour custom-made for your group, or the most romantic chapter to add to your story.
No two tours are the same. So how do we get you there? That’s up to you.
Our personal concierge service and mobile app
Custom Europe Experts
Experts in planning truly customized trips
Value without Compromise
High-touch inclusions and customized experiences
Consistency with Individuality
You’ll always be met with the highest standards