When people think of Ireland, they usually think of things such as Guinness and leprechauns. Many people don’t realize that Ireland has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world! No matter the season, these beaches are worth a visit during your time on the Emerald Isle.
In Ireland, the east coast beaches can be very busy in the summer time because of their close proximity to Dublin. If you’re looking for something a little more remote, try the west coast. You’ll find a variety of beaches with just as much beauty without the crowds!
Here is our list of of Ireland’s best beaches by county:
- Brittas Bay: This beach stretches 4km long and is the most popular beach for residents of Dublin during the summer. The movie The Count of Monte Cristo was filmed at this beach, so perhaps it will look familiar to you!
Maghermore Beach: A bit off the beaten path, this beach is surrounded by cliffs and has beautiful crystal clear water.
- Silver Strand: This one is definitely at the top of the list when it comes to the best beaches in Ireland; everything around the beach is so green and there is even a waterfall.
- Elly Bay Beach: A beach known for it’s variety of wildlife, Elly Bay is a great, small beach to explore and take in the great views of the surrounding cliffs.
- Skerries: Skerries translates to ‘The Rocks’; this beach town is a great spot to spend the day. It’s filled with Irish gastropubs and restaurants and gives you a great view of The Rockabill lighthouse.
- Dollymount Strand: This beach is close to St. Anne’s Park and is known to be a great place for bird watching.
- Bundoran Beach: One of Europe’s best waves, called ‘The Peak’, makes this beach a surfer’s paradise. Many different surfing championships have been held at this beach. In addition to the surfing, it is also a beautiful beach for a walk along the water.
- Rossnowlagh Beach: This is another beach that surfers frequent, but is also home to a lot of non-surfers who will be seen swimming and visiting the beach bar.
- Fintragh Beach: A great place to bring your family in the summer for some fun in the sun because lifeguards are on duty all summer long (June-September)!
- Bettystown: This beach is located in a small town and would be a great place for a day trip; the town is filled with small shops, restaurants, and even a golf course.
If you love the beach, you are sure to love any and all of the beaches listed here. Even if you are not a big fan of the beach, these spots are great to visit in any season for hiking or just to explore Ireland’s natural beauty. If you’re on a self-drive tour around Ireland, you will also be able to discover smaller beaches all along the coast. Each beach has something different about it, and who doesn’t love a nice walk on a deserted beach, especially if you’re on a romantic getaway!
Still not convinced that Ireland can be known for its beautiful beaches? The only way to find out is to take a trip to Ireland with Tenon Tours!
learn more about Ireland Get a FREE Ireland travel guide
Ready to start planning your trip to Ireland?
Our Travel Specialists are ready to help you find the perfect tour!